Flying consul missions
To capture biometric information for passport applications of registered Belgians, a staff member of the Consulate General travels to different cities with a mobile kit to capture biometrical data (photo, fingerprints and signature).
The Consulate General needs to receive your documents minimum two weeks before the visit of the ‘flying consul’, as no forms, documents or payments will be accepted on the spot.
Travel Schedule 2017
- Charlotte (Belgians registered with the Consulate General of Atlanta): 11 and 12 December
- San Francisco (Belgians registered with the Consulate General of Los Angeles) : 18 and 19 October
- Dallas (Belgians registered with the Consulate General of New York) : 10 and 11 November
- Seattle (Belgians registered with the Consulate General of Los Angeles) : 13 November
1. Please send following documents by postal mail:
- the application form (not available in English - in Dutch or French)
- one recent color photo;
- a copy of the current passport: the original passport will be presented to the ‘flying consul’. If the passport contains valid visas, it will be returned to you with the new passport, after cancellation of the remaining pages;
- a copy of the "Permanent Resident Card" (bring the original to the appointment) or a copy of the valid American visa or US certificate of naturalization (unless born in the United States);
- for minors: add a copy of the "Permanent Resident Card" or valid American visa or US certificate of naturalization of the Belgian parent (unless born in the United States);
- a money order or cashier’s check (no personal check or cash) payable to the "Consulate General of Belgium" - see correct amount on the passport page (Dutch - French);
- a completed, stamped flat rate USPS envelope or Fedex/UPS slip, including payment information (account nr or credit card) to return the passport, without mentioning the Consulate as the sender (your own information should be mentioned twice, as sender & receiver).
2. You can make an appointment online as soon as the schedule is available (approximately 6 weeks before the planned visit). Click here for New York, here for Los Angeles. After reception of all the documents, we will confirm the appointment.
If you are registered with an address in the state where the Flying Consul Mission is organized, you will receive an email with the details beforehand. It is therefore important that your information in our databank is current. If you are registered with an address in another state/country, please call extension 101.
For additional questions, you can contact the Consulate General by email. In all your communication, please mention clearly your name and chosen city in the subject of your email.
- Consulate General New York: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Consulate General Los Angeles: email@example.com
- Consulate General Atlanta: firstname.lastname@example.org
Other possibilities outside of the jurisdiction
Please note that you also have other options to request a passport:
At any other Consulate General or Embassy of Belgium (as well as their flying consul), and at the Provincial administration of the last residence in Belgium, with prior approval of the Consulate/Embassy where you are officially registered.