Getting married in the U.S.

You are Belgian and you want to get married in the United States.

  1. Last updated on

Since 15 June 2014, it is no longer possible to arrange a marriage at a Belgian Consulate General abroad. 

A marriage concluded in the USA (ecclesiastical or civil) is recognized and accepted in Belgium. 

The terms vary from state to state. Every state requires a "marriage license", you cannot get married without this license. More information about obtaining this license and the marriage conditions can be found on the website of a non-governmental organization Marriage License

Once you are married, you must inform the Consulate General of your place of residence of the change in your marital status by providing a certified copy of the deed. 

If you are domiciled in Belgium, you must have the deed legalised with an apostille and then brought it to the town hall.