Flying consul missions
! DUE TO COVID-19, ALL PLANNED FLYING CONSUL MISSIONS ARE CURRENTLY POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE !
To capture biometric information for passport applications of registered Belgians, a staff member of the Consulate General travels to different cities with a mobile kit to capture biometrical data (photo, fingerprints and signature).
The Consulate General needs to receive your documents minimum two weeks before the visit of the ‘flying consul’, as no forms, documents or payments will be accepted on the spot.
No missions planned so far.
1. Please send following documents by postal mail:
- the application form (not available in English - in Dutch or French)
- a copy of the current passport: the original passport will be presented to the ‘flying consul’. If the passport contains valid visas, it will be returned to you with the new passport, after cancellation of the remaining pages;
- a copy of the "Permanent Resident Card" (bring the original to the appointment) or a copy of the valid American visa or US certificate of naturalization (unless born in the United States);
- for minors: add a copy of the "Permanent Resident Card" or valid American visa or US certificate of naturalization of the Belgian parent (unless born in the United States);
- a money order or cashier’s check (no personal check or cash) payable to the "Consulate General of Belgium" - see correct amount on the passport page (Dutch - French);
- a completed, stamped flat rate USPS envelope or UPS slip, including payment information (account nr. or credit card) to return the passport, without mentioning the Consulate as the sender (your own information should be mentioned twice, as sender & receiver).
2. You can make an appointment online as soon as the schedule is available (approximately 6 weeks before the planned visit).
For additional questions, you can contact the Consulate General by email. In all your communication, please mention clearly your name and chosen city in the subject of your email.
- Consulate General New York: email@example.com
- Consulate General Los Angeles: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Consulate General Atlanta: email@example.com
Other possibilities outside of the jurisdiction
Please note that you also have other options to request a passport:
At any other Consulate General or Embassy of Belgium (as well as the flying consul - pre-registration biometric data not possible) and as of January 1st 2018, Belgians residing abroad can also apply for a new passport at the city hall of their last address in Belgium. Those who never took up residence in Belgium, but were born there, will need to contact the city hall of their birthplace. Belgians who were born abroad and never resided in Belgium can apply for a passport at a city hall of their choice.