Home External Communication Officer
External Communication Officer
The Consulate of Belgium in New York is hiring:
A motivated and skilled External Communication Officer
Who we are:
The Consulate of Belgium in New York City represents Belgium in 23 States of the US, and consists of a staff of 10 people.
What we are looking for:
We are seeking a motivated multi-functional person who will be in charge of our external communication, including social media, website and public diplomacy, and event planning.
His/her main duties will include:
- Manage the Consulate’s social media communication on a daily basis;
- Monitor the topics of current interest in different fields and draft news bits, manage the Consulate’s accounts/pages on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other media;
- Develop and implement social media campaigns to increase the visibility of the consulate;
- Be in charge of the website maintenance and updating;
- Monitor and review Belgian and U.S. press on issues of interest;
- Manage press and public relations of the Consulate;
- Develop and coordinate events of public diplomacy;
- Accomplish ad-hoc projects in a supporting role in economic, political, cultural and other fields;
- Attend meetings and draft papers on the different topics.
- Have proven experience in communications and social media;
- Excellent communication, writing, editing and organizational skills
- Be proactive, highly motivated and demonstrate a sense of initiative;
- Be able to work autonomously;
- Be a good team player, have good inter-personal skills;
- Be culturally sensitive and understand what communication is appropriate for a culturally diverse audience.
- Be reliable and trustworthy;
- Have excellent English language skills;
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment is an asset.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field (e.g. communications, public relations, international relations);
- Proficiency in MS Office and social media platforms required; knowledge of CMS, MailChimp or FlexMail preferred;
- Excellent knowledge of English; knowledge of French and/or Dutch is a plus;
- Good knowledge of Belgium is a plus;
- Proof of legal residence and work permit in the USA.
What we can offer:
- A desirable international work environment with short communication channels and few hierarchical levels;
- A large degree of autonomy;
- A competitive salary, 24 days of paid holiday leave in addition to 14 official holidays and health insurance (85% employer’s contribution).
The start date of the position is July 15.
Candidates should send their applications (cv and motivation letter) in English, Dutch or French to firstname.lastname@example.org (title: your name + application External Communication Officer)
A preselection of candidates who best meet the criteria for the post will be made on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivation letter.
Preselected candidates will be invited for an interview.