Assistant in Communication, Consular and Economic Affairs
Who we are
The Consulate General of Belgium in Atlanta represents Belgium in the Southeast of the U.S.
Our office currently consists of 5 staff members. We are committed to being an equal opportunity employer and want to build a diverse team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
What we are looking for
We are seeking a motivated and versatile assistant, to work in a supporting role within the different sections of our organization.
They will be in charge of our communications and social media, will coordinate events of public diplomacy and will follow up on ad-hoc files in the economic, political and consular sections.
Their main duties will include:
- Coordinating the external communication of the Consulate (social media, quarterly newsletter, website, etc.).
- Creating and publishing content, and involving other team members in these efforts.
- Developing and implementing social media campaigns to increase the visibility of the Consulate.
- Monitoring topics of interest in different fields, attending relevant events, and drafting news bits and reports
- Website maintenance and updates.
- Organizing events of public diplomacy, including cost estimation, securing sponsoring and/or developing collaborations with third parties. Drafting reports on these events.
- Accomplishing ad hoc projects in different fields: economic, political, educational and consular.
- Have experience in communications and social media, including video editing skills.
- Have good writing, creativity and organizational skills.
- Have awareness of local political, economic and cultural life.
- Be interested in the Belgian society and culture.
- Be culturally sensitive and understand what communication is appropriate for a culturally diverse audience.
- Be autonomous, proactive, highly motivated and demonstrate sense of initiative.
- Be reliable and trustworthy.
The following additional skills will be considered as assets:
- Experience with working in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
- Being a good networker.
- Knowledge of a Belgian national language (French/ Dutch/ German).
Candidates must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Have a college degree or equivalent experience.
- Have excellent knowledge of English.
- Be a US citizen or US Legal Permanent Resident.
What we offer
- A desirable international work environment with short communication channels and few hierarchical levels. Exposure to a global network in the South and beyond.
- A large degree of autonomy.
- A competitive salary.
- 24 days of paid vacation, in addition to 14 official holidays.
- Top-notch health insurance (85% employer’s contribution).
- A one-year contract, that may be extended into a permanent contract in the future.
- Candidates should send their applications (resume and motivation letter) in English, Dutch or French to email@example.com. Please use subject line: “Application Communication 2020 - [your name]”
- Closing date for the submission of applications is October 21, 2020.
- A preselection of candidates who best meet the criteria for the post will be made based on qualifications and professional experience as described in the resume and motivation letter.
Preselected candidates will be invited for an interview.