The Consulate General of Belgium in Atlanta is hiring:
Fall Internships : interns economic and political section
For the Fall of 2021 (September-February) the Consulate General of Belgium is opening positions for interns in its economic and political section.
The intern will carry out the following tasks:
- Participate in the organization of events, including an official economic mission visiting from Belgium.
- Research and write memos and fact sheets on political, social and economics topics in particular as it pertains to the Belgian presence in the Southeast of the United States.
- Update its databases of Belgian and American companies.
We are a small, polyvalent team and the intern can be involved in other domains of activity as well.
Excellent research, writing and organizational skills required. Knowledge of French or Dutch is an asset. Students in the political, economic and social sciences fields are particularly encouraged to apply.
Candidates currently enrolled or recently graduated from an American educational institution, are encouraged to apply for this internship position. Preference will be given to students who will earn college credits for this internship.
The internship can be conducted either full-time or part-time and is unpaid. The duration of the internship is three months but can be extended to six months contingent on performance. The internship can be conducted partially or fully remotely.
Interns at the Consulate General of Belgium must sign a contract to abide by the rules and regulations of the consulate and commit to exemplary behavior and discretion.
To turn in your application or for any internship inquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Fall 2021 Internship”.
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume and writing sample. The cover letter should address the candidate’s qualifications for the post. The writing samples can be from a recent class, student publication or other project.
We are committed to being an equal opportunity employer and want to build a diverse team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Assistant in Public Diplomacy, Consular and Economic Affairs
Who we are
The Consulate General of Belgium in Atlanta represents Belgium in the Southeast of the U.S. Our office currently consists of six staff members. We are committed to being an equal opportunity employer and want to build a diverse team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
What we are looking for
We seek a motivated and versatile assistant to support the mission of the Consulate General of Belgium in Atlanta and manage a diverse portfolio of tasks within the different sections of our organization, including public diplomacy, consular affairs, and economic affairs.
The Assistant in Public Diplomacy, Consular and Economic Affairs will be responsible for our marketing and communications and will coordinate events of public diplomacy to promote Belgium’s visibility in the region. The Assistant will also provide administrative support as needed in the economic, political and consular sections.
Their main duties will include
- Coordinating the Consulate’s external communications (social media, quarterly newsletter, Consulate email, website, press, etc.)
- Creating and publishing multimedia content, including timely updates regarding consular matters, and collaborating with team members in these efforts to engage both Belgian and American audiences
- Developing and implementing social media campaigns to promote the Consulate’s initiatives throughout the Southeast region
- Researching and providing analysis on topics of interest in business, politics and culture; drafting reports for internal use; and helping to represent the Consulate at relevant events and on official visits, including the upcoming Royal Economic Mission to Atlanta
- Identifying opportunities for outreach and organizing events of public diplomacy, including collaborations with third parties, securing sponsorships and/or cost estimation
- Providing administrative support (scheduling, correspondence, contact management, etc.) to the Consul General and Deputy Head of Mission as needed
- Accomplishing ad hoc projects in different fields: economic, political, educational and consular.
- Have prior experience in marketing, research and/or communications, including knowledge of social media, graphic design and video production.
- Be creative, organized, and strong communicators overall.
- Possess experience in event planning/management.
- Have awareness of local politics, culture and economy.
- Be interested in Belgian society and culture.
- Be culturally sensitive and understand appropriate communication for a culturally diverse audience.
- Be team players who can manage a variety of assignments simultaneously and quickly reorder priorities as needed.
- Be autonomous, proactive, highly motivated and demonstrate a sense of initiative.
- Be reliable, collaborative and trustworthy.
The following additional skills will be considered as assets:
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
- Being a good networker.
- Knowledge of a Belgian national language (French/ Dutch/ German).
Candidates must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Have a college degree or equivalent experience.
- Have excellent knowledge of English.
- Be a US citizen or US Legal Permanent Resident.
What we offer
- A desirable international work environment with short communication channels and few hierarchical levels. Exposure to a global network in the South and beyond.
- A large degree of autonomy.
- A competitive salary.
- 24 days of paid vacation, in addition to 14 official holidays.
- Top-notch health insurance (85% employer’s contribution).
- A one-year contract, that may be extended into a permanent contract in the future.
- Candidates should send their applications (resume and motivation letter) in English, Dutch or French to atlanta (at) diplobel.fed.be. Please use subject line: “Application Communication 2021 - [your name]”
- Closing date for the submission of applications is June 13, 2021.
- A preselection of candidates who best meet the criteria for the post will be made based on qualifications and professional experience as described in the resume and motivation letter.
Preselected candidates will be invited for an interview.