Visa for Belgium
As of March 18, visa services have been suspended until further notice as a result of the EU temporary travel restriction to help slow the spread of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Only emergency services for limited situations will be continued. To schedule an emergency appointment visit https://unitedstates.diplomatie.belgium.be/en/visa-belgium/visitors and follow the instructions under Where to apply.
The visa office will send notices to applicants with scheduled appointments impacted by this closure. When the visa office resumes normal operations, applicants will be able to schedule a new appointment. Visa applications sent in by mail, will not be processed until normal operations resume. Visit this page regularly for the latest services update.
People who have received a visa, are strongly advised to postpone any non-essential travel. If the period of validity of the visa issued for the postponed trip is insufficient to cover the duration of the new trip, a new visa may be requested on presentation of the below documents. The visa may be issued after normalization of the situation, provided that you still meet the entry conditions.
- visa application form indicating the new dates of the trip,
- payment of a new handling fee,
- copy of the travel document with the visa issued for the postponed trip, proof of the arrangements made for the new trip (e.g. new date fixed for the conference or professional meeting, new invitation, etc.), and
- travel health insurance covering the duration of the proposed new trip.
The examination of visa applications already submitted continues. However, in the event of a positive decision, the visa will not be issued immediately, unless the applicant has an essential function or an essential need.
Visa applications: General information concerning visa applications for Belgium is available on the website of the Foreigners Department of the FPS Home Affairs, which is the competent Belgian authority for access to the territory, stay, residence and removal of foreigners in Belgium.
More specific information concerning visa applications in the USA for traveling to Belgium:
- Affidavit of Support
- Higher education
- Independent professionals
- Exchange Students
- Retiring in Belgium
- Partners of EU citizens or EU residents (cohabitation-visa)