Embassy and Consulates of Belgium in the United States
Home Visa for Belgium Affidavit of Financial Support (Prise en Charge)

Affidavit of Financial Support (Prise en Charge)


Relatives of students in the first, second or third degree can submit an application for an affidavit of support. They then guarantee payment for medical, living, educational and repatriation expenses for a current or future student in Belgium. Please find the required minimum funds to sponsor a student in Belgium here (in French or Dutch). 

Family ties to the third degree explained:

  • 1st degree: parents or children
  • 2nd degree:
    • siblings,
    • grandparents,
    • grandchildren,
    • spouses of parents or children
  • 3rd degree:
    • nieces and nephews (children of your siblings) 
    • uncles and aunts (siblings of your parents)
    • spouses of family members in the 2nd degree 

How to submit?

The application should be filed at the consular office with jurisdiction over the State in which the sponsor resides. If the student lives in the US, the Affidavit of Support package can be included with the visa application.

Please send the completed form and all supporting documents, in the order listed below. The processing time is 15 working days approximatively.

If the application is approved, the legalized affidavit of support and the payment receipt will be emailed to the sponsor, who can then forward it to student. We issue electronic legalizations only. No hard copies will be returned to the applicant.

If the application is not complete or submitted to the wrong consular office, it may be returned or processing could get delayed.

We are not responsible for lost items during shipping. We recommend choosing an option that provides tracking. Do not use metered postage for mailing to the Consulate General in New York. Please also note that the Embassy of Belgium in Washington, D.C. and the Consulate General of Belgium in New York no longer work with FedEx (You can use UPS or USPS).


What form to use?

The Affidavit of Support form is available in Dutch and French. The language of the form to be filled out must correspond to the language of the municipality where the student is registered or will register.

The following translations are for convenience only and should not be submittedDutch/English or French/English.

Note: The footnotes on the form must be followed closely and the date should read day/month/year. The sponsor’s signature cannot be notarized by a notary public. The guarantor’s email address and phone number must be added in clear writing on the back of the form.


What supporting documents are required?

  1. proof of family ties between the student and the sponsor: original birth certificates with an apostille for American documents or (if needed) legalization from both the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of your country of birth as well as a legalization from the Belgian representation in your country of birth. 

    Please contact the Belgian representation in your country of birth to inquire about the legalization procedure. 

    Please note that these documents cannot be older than six months. Original birth certificates will be returned if you provide us with additional copies.

  2. copy of the student’s admission letter, issued by the Belgian educational institution;
  3. copy of the student’s Belgian residence permit if applicable;
  4. notarized copy of the picture page of the sponsor’s US passport, foreign passport with valid visa, or residence permit, which includes the holder’s signature.
  5. copy of the first 2 pages of the sponsor’s most recent tax return (1040 form);  
  6. recent letter of employment stating type and length of contract (delivered within the last 6 months); if self-employed, copy of the sponsor’s current business license;
  7. copy of the sponsor’s most recent pay stub mentioning year-to-date earnings;
  8. copy of the statements of your bank account for the last 3 months. Self-employed sponsors should submit both personal and business bank statements for the last 3 months;
  9. certified check or money order made out to Consulate General of Belgium OR Embassy of Belgium for the correct amount. The Embassy in Washington also accepts credit card payments via this credit card authorization form. Please find our fee schedule here.
  10. include a pre-paid and pre-addressed return envelope.

Additional documents may be requested.