Embassy and Consulates of Belgium in the United States
Home Visa for Belgium Affidavit of Support

Affidavit of Support

Affidavit of Financial Support (Prise en Charge)

Anyone over the age of 18 who can guarantee payment for medical, living, educational and repatriation expenses for a current or potential student in Belgium, may submit a Pledge of Financial Support. You can find the minimum necessary funds needed here.

What form to use?

The Affidavit of Support form is available in Dutch and French. The language of the form to be filled out must correspond to the language of the municipality where the student is registered or will register.

The following translations are for convenience only and should not be submittedDutch/English or French/English.

Note: The footnotes on the form must be followed closely and the date should read day/month/year. By dating and writing above your signature in Dutch ‘Gelezen en goedgekeurd’ or French ‘Lu et approuve’, which means ‘Read and approved’, you agree on all the conditions involved with the affidavit of support. The sponsor’s signature cannot be notarized by a notary public. The guarantor’s email address and phone number must be added in clear  writing on the back of the form.

What supporting documents are required?

  1. copy of the student’s admission letter, issued by the Belgian educational institution
  2. copy of the student’s Belgian residence permit if applicable
  3. notarized copy of the picture page of the sponsor’s US passport,  foreign passport with valid visa, or residence permit, which includes the holder’s signature
  4. copy of the first 2 pages of the sponsor’s most recent tax return (1040 form)     When self-employed, copy of the sponsor’s current business license
  5. copy of the sponsor’s most recent pay stub mentioning year-to-date earnings. The pay period must cover at least the last 3 months ;
  6. copy of the balance sheet (i.e. the page with the ending balance) of your bank account  for  the last 3 months. When self-employed: the balance sheet of your bussiness and personal account of the last 3 months. The average balance of the last 3 months must be at least the minimum monthly amount required  for the student as stated on the website
  7. Recent letter of employment stating type and length of contract (delivered within the last 6 months)
  8. certified check or money order of $ 26 made out to Consulate General of Belgium OR Embassy of Belgium. The Embassy in Washington also accepts credit cards credit card payments via this credit card authorization form
  9. Include a pre-paid and pre-addressed return envelope ( NOT required for applications introduced in ATLANTA).
    The Embassy or Consulate General is not responsible for lost items during shipping, we recommend choosing an option that provides tracking. Remarks: Do not use metered postage for mailing to the Consulate General in New York. Please note that the Embassy of Belgium in Washington DC and the Consulate General of Belgium in New York no longer work with FedEx (You can use UPS or USPS).

Note: Additional documents may be requested to determine the solvency of the sponsor.

How to submit?

Due to Covid-19, applications can only be mailed.

Send the completed form and all supporting documents, in the order listed, to the consular office with jurisdiction over the State where the sponsor resides. If the student lives in the US, the Pledge of Support package can be included with the visa application.

Please note that processing time is 15 working days approximatively.

If the application is approved, the legalized Pledge of Support and the receipt will be emailed to the sponsor, who can then forward it to student. We only issue electronic legalizations. No hard copies will be returned to the applicant.

! Important information: if your application is not complete or submitted to a different office, it may be returned to you or processing could get delayed.