Affidavit of Support
Affidavit of Financial Support (Prise en Charge)
Anyone over the age of 18 who can guarantee payment for medical, living, educational and repatriation expenses for a current or potential student in Belgium, may submit a Pledge of Financial Support. You can find the minimum necessary funds needed here.
What form to use?
The Affidavit of Support form is available in Dutch and French. The language of the form to be filled out must correspond to the language of the municipality where the student is registered or will register.
Note: The footnotes on the form must be followed closely and the date should read day/month/year. The sponsor’s signature cannot be notarized by a notary public. The guarantor’s email address and phone number must be added in clear writing on the back of the form.
What supporting documents are required?
- copy of the student’s admission letter, issued by the Belgian educational institution
- copy of the student’s Belgian residence permit if applicable
- notarized copy of the picture page of the sponsor’s US passport, foreign passport with valid visa, or residence permit, which includes the holder’s signature
- copy of the first 2 pages of the sponsor’s most recent tax return (1040 form) When self-employed, copy of the sponsor’s current business license
- copy of the sponsor’s pay stubs covering the last 3 months and mentioning year-to-date earnings; bank statements from the last 3 months or when self-employed, provide company bank statements and personal bank statements both of the last 3 months. The average balance of the last 3 months must be at least the minimum monthly amount required for the student as stated on the website
- certified check or money order of $ 26 made out to Consulate General of Belgium OR Embassy of Belgium. The Embassy in Washington also accepts credit cards credit card payments via this credit card authorization form
Note: Additional documents may be requested to determine the solvency of the sponsor.
How to submit?
Due to Covid-19, applications can only be mailed.
Send the completed form and all supporting documents, in the order listed, to the consular office with jurisdiction over the State where the sponsor resides. If the student lives in the US, the Pledge of Support package can be included with the visa application.
If the application is approved, the legalized Pledge of Support and the receipt will be emailed to the sponsor, who can then forward it to student. We only issue electronic legalizations. No hard copies will be returned to the applicant.
! Important information: if your application is not complete or submitted to a different office, it may be returned to you or processing could get delayed.