Application for a temporary residency visa for high school exchange student:
This information is for students who participate in exchange programs with the following recognized organizations:
- JINT vzw
- American Field Service (AFS)
- VIA (Vrijwillige Internationale Actie)
- International Youth Exchange (IYA)
- Youth for Understanding
- International Association Agricultural Students (IAAS)
- Rotary Club International
- World Exchange Program
- Erasmus, Tempus, and Socrates Programs
If your program is not mentioned please contact the appropriate consular office.
Please request your student visa at least four weeks prior to your intended departure date. The normal processing time for this type of visa is one week. For non US citizens, the processing time may be considerably longer.
How to apply?
Please be sure to lodge your visa application with the Embassy or Consulate General that holds jurisdiction over the State of your residence. For more information on which representation covers which States, please see: Embassy and consulates | Belgium in the United States
If mailing in your application, make sure to submit all the documents mentioned below AND comply with the following additional requirements :
1) your signature on the application form must be notarized (certified) by a notary public.
2) do not send your application documents to an Honorary Consul. The application will be processed by the Embassy or by a Consulate General. Always make sure you mail your application to the Embassy or Consulate General competent for your place of residence (see the jurisdictions described here).
3) Make sure you have included 1 copy for every original document in your file. Original documents will be returned to you.
4) The visa fee can be paid by money order OR by including a filled out credit card authorization form (Washington DC and Los Angeles only).
Documents to submit:
1. Passport, valid for 15 months.
2. Two original visa application forms duly completed, dated and signed.
Please include a print-out of the application form that you completed on Visa On Web (VOW) after registering on the website visaonweb.diplomatie.be
3. Three recent passport pictures, with the name of the applicant clearly written on the back.
Include three sets of the following documents (one original set of documents and two copies) collated and stapled:
The originals will be returned to you together with your passport and visa. You will need them to register at city hall in Belgium.
4. For adults over 18 years : an original sealed envelope containing your nationwide criminal history record (FBI Identification Record), not older than six months. Please submit your request electronically at https://www.edo.cjis.gov and request your results by mail via the U.S. Postal Service. Do not open the original sealed envelope with the results, and add it to your visa application package.
If you are attending a non-accredited institution please submit legalized copies of your current degrees or letter of employment to prove that the studies you want to follow in Belgium complement your past education/career.
You will also need to include a motivation letter explaining why you chose this particular institution in Belgium to continue your studies.
5. A medical certificate (PDF) according to the model enclosed and two copies. For a list of physicians affiliated with the Embassy or the Consulate General, click here.
If you choose your family physician, the doctor's signature needs to be notarized by a notary public, and authenticated by apostille which is to be obtained from the Secretary of State where the notary public has his/her office.
The medical document can be issued maximum 6 months before the date of your application.
6. Proof of guaranteed financial support (original and copy) duly signed by the authorized representatives of the exchange organization in Belgium.
7. In the case of a minor of age (under 18), a letter of parental authorization. Both parents need to sign this letter and the signatures must be notarized. The letter specifies the purpose and the duration of the stay in Belgium.
8. A self-addressed prepaid envelope if you wish to have your passport and visa sent back to your home address. The Embassy or Consulate General is not responsible for lost items during shipping.
Remarks: Do not use metered postage (for mailing to the Consulate General in New York only). Please note that the Embassy of Belgium in Washington DC and the Consulate General in New York no longer work with FedEx. (You can use UPS or USPS).
9. Fee to be paid at the time of application: please check the amount on Consular Fees - as of 15 June 2022 | Belgium in the United States
The visa application fee is non-refundable, whether your visa is actually issued or not. The visa fee can be paid by money order OR by including a filled out credit card authorization form (Washington DC and Los Angeles only).
10. An additional fee is required for students 18 and over: 220 EURO (payment through the bank). For instructions see: Fee | IBZ (bosa.be)
Please refer to the following table for payment options:
|Embassy in Washington||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Consulate General in Atlanta||No||Yes||Yes||Yes*|
|Consulate General in Los Angeles||No||Yes||Yes||Yes*|
|Consulate General in New York||No||Yes||Yes||Yes*|
*ONLY when the application is submitted in person
Personal checks are not accepted.
Certified checks and money orders have to be paid to the order of:
- "the Embassy of Belgium in Washington" if you apply at the Embassy in Washington
- "the Consulate General of Belgium" if you apply at the Consulate General in Atlanta, Los Angeles or New York.
Incorrect money orders or certified checks will be rejected and returned to the applicant. Processing will only begin once the proper payment is received.
Only at the Embassy in Washington and the Consulate General of Los Angeles may you pay with Visa or MasterCard. In New York you can only pay with a money order or certified check.
Currently not available
I. IF YOU APPLY IN PERSON:
Please make an appointment:
Los Angeles : visa applicants must create an account and schedule an appointment online: visaonweb.diplomatie.be
New York : visa applicants must create an account and schedule an appointment online : visaonweb.diplomatie.be
Atlanta : visa applicants must create an account and schedule an appointment online: visaonweb.diplomatie.be
Washington : visa applicants must create an account and schedule an appointment online : visaonweb.diplomatie.be
Important: please cancel your appointment online or notify us by e-mail if you cannot come to the consulate as planned.
UPON ARRIVAL IN BELGIUM
It is important that you register yourself and your family with the City Hall of your place of residence in Belgium within 8 days of your arrival. Make sure that all passports are endorsed by the immigration authorities when first entering Belgium (at airport or other border post).
The local authorities will process your registration identity document that will allow you to enter and leave the country as a legal temporary resident of Belgium.