Application for a temporary residency visa on the basis of an internship
Do you need a Temporary Residency Visa?
A citizen of the United States of America or of any country other than a Member State of the European Union who intends to reside in Belgium for a period longer than 90 days, or for a succession of periods totaling more than 90 days per 6 months, must first obtain a temporary residency visa.
When the applicant seeks to engage in an internship, the required residency visa can only be issued upon the presentation of the proper supporting documents. The applicant has to be between 18 and 30 years old.
The employer mails the work permit to the intern, who then contacts the appropriate consular office in whose jurisdiction (s)he is a resident to apply for the temporary residency visa.
Please request your intern visa at least three weeks prior to your intended departure date. The normal processing time for this type of visa is one week. For non US citizens, the processing time may be considerably longer.
How to apply:
As of December 1st, 2018, all visa applicants for long term visas from the age of 6 years old will have to apply in person, at which time their fingerprints will be taken. Visa applicants will have to book an appointment at the Consulate General or Embassy where they wish to apply.
The Consulate General in Atlanta also accepts electronic Visa-On-Web applications (printed application form and documentation must be sent by postal mail or courier service), and allows the applicant to come in person to have their fingerprints taken at a later stage.
Please make an appointment:
Los Angeles : visa applicants must create an account and schedule an appointment online: visaonweb.diplomatie.be
New York : visa applicants must create an account and schedule an appointment online : visaonweb.diplomatie.be
Atlanta : visa applicants must create an account and schedule an appointment online: visaonweb.diplomatie.be
Washington : visa applicants must create an account and schedule an appointment online : visaonweb.diplomatie.be
Important: please cancel your appointment online or notify us by e-mail if you cannot come to the consulate as planned.
1. A valid national passport (validity 15 months).
2. Two visa application forms and two recent passport-size photographs.
Please include a print-out of the application form that you completed on Visa On Web (VOW) after registering on the website visaonweb.diplomatie.be
3. Language form (in French, Dutch or German); Choose one of the forms and indicate your language preference (or no preference). The option you choose will be used by the Belgian Home Office to communicate its decision regarding your visa application. There is no English version of this document. Please retain a copy for your records.
A. Indicate your name: full name as it appears on your passport (nom du demandeur, naam visumaanvrager, name visumbewerber)
B. Number of the file will be indicated by this office (numéro du dossier - dossiernummer - aktenzeichen)
C. Indicate in what language you wish your file to be handled:
i. have no preference (geen voorkeur, pas de preference, keiner Sprache den Vorzug)
ii. prefer French (français, Frans, französischer Sprache)
iii. prefer Dutch (néerlandais, Nederlands, niederländischer Sprache)
iv. prefer German (allemand, Duits, deutscher Sprache)
D. Date the form (format : DAY MONTH YEAR (NOT: MONTH, DAY, YEAR)
E. Sign the form (no need to notarize it)
4. The valid work permit (and two photocopies of this document). This document is applied for and must be obtained by the employer in Belgium at the appropriate regional government office before the prospective intern enters Belgium. The employer will mail the work permit to the intern.
Please note that interns at international recognized coordination centers in Belgium are exempt from obtaining either document as long as the internship does not exceed 12 months, proof of this needs to be submitted by royal decree. An internship contract should be submitted (see item 6).
To find out if you are exempt from obtaining a work permit please contact the Embassy or the Consulate general of your residence.
Include three sets of the following documents (one original set of documents and two copies) collated and stapled:
The originals will be returned to you together with your passport and visa. You will need them to register at city hall in Belgium.
5. For adults (over 18 years): a nationwide criminal history record (FBI Identification Record), dated within six months of your date of application for the visa. No authentication (apostille) is required.
ONLY FBI CHECKS PRINTED ON TAMPER PROOF PAPER OR IN THEIR ORIGINAL SEALED ENVELOPES ARE ACCEPTED
6. A medical certificate (PDF) according to the model enclosed. For a list of physicians affiliated with the Embassy or the Consulate General, click here. If you choose your family physician, the doctor's signature needs to be notarized, and authenticated by apostille which is to be obtained from the Secretary of State where the notary public has his/her office. See: http://www.hcch.net/index_en.php?act=authorities.details&aid=353
The medical document should be less than 6 months old from the date of your application.
7. An internship contract issued by the employer confirming that the intern receives a payment (amount specified) or that the internship is not paid. In the latter case, please submit a financial support declaration (Dutch form - French form) signed by the applicant’s sponsor (one person only), guaranteeing payment of travel, living, educational, medical and repatriation expenses.
This form needs to be completed in the language of the school you will be attending (Dutch or French).
Please note that you have to fill out a copy in ONE language and that you cannot fill out the bilingual copy!
For your convenience, you can find a bilingual copy of this document below.
(Suggestion: the financial support declaration can also be signed by the sponsor in front of the visa officer, thus avoiding the presentation of the notarized copy of the driver's license or passport).
The signature legalization fee is: 24 USD
8. A self-addressed prepaid envelope if you wish to have your passport and visa sent back to your home address. The Embassy or Consulate General is not responsible for lost items during shipping.
Remarks: Do not use metered postage (for mailing to the Consulate General in New York only). Please note that the Embassy of Belgium in Washington DC and the Consulate General in New York no longer work with FedEx. (You can use UPS or USPS).
9. Fee to be paid at the time of application: 216 USD
The visa application fee is non-refundable, whether your visa is actually issued or not.
Please refer to the following table for payment options:
|Embassy in Washington||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Consulate General in Atlanta||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|Consulate General in Los Angeles||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Consulate General in New York||No||Yes||Yes||No|
Personal checks are not accepted.
Certified checks and money orders have to be paid to the order of:
- "the Embassy of Belgium in Washington" if you apply at the Embassy in Washington
- "the Consulate General of Belgium" if you apply at the Consulate General in Atlanta, Los Angeles or New York.
Incorrect money orders or certified checks will be rejected and returned to the applicant. Processing will only begin once the proper payment is received.
Only at the Embassy in Washington and the Consulate General of Los Angeles may you pay with Visa or MasterCard. In New York you can only pay with a money order or certified check.
10. An additional fee is required for applicants 18 and over: 358 EURO (payment through the bank). For instructions see: New contribution for visa LONG stay - D.
You must apply at the Embassy or Consulate General in whose jurisdiction you reside.
UPON ARRIVAL IN BELGIUM
It is important that you register yourself and your family with the City Hall of your place of residence in Belgium within 8 days of your arrival. Make sure that all passports are endorsed by the immigration authorities when first entering Belgium (at airport or other border post).
The local authorities will process your registration identity document that will allow you to enter and leave the country as a legal temporary resident of Belgium.