The Consulate of Belgium in New York is hiring:
A motivated and skilled VISA Officer
Please note that only candidates with a proof of legal residence and work permit in the USA, will be considered.
Who we are
The primary areas of competence of the Consulate General of Belgium in New York cover the assistance (issuance of passports, repatriation, …) to Belgian nationals visiting or residing in the 23 US (United States) states falling within its jurisdiction and the processing of visa applications (short or long stay) lodged by foreigners planning to go to Belgium (students, tourists, researchers, …).
Another significant role of the Consulate General is to promote the image of Belgium.
Additionally, the Consulate General also observes and analyzes the political and socio-economic situation in the states of its jurisdiction to increase the understanding of the United States and its policies by the Belgian authorities and to improve the collaboration on shared interests.
The Consulate General employs a staff of 10 people. A work week consists of 40 hours (Monday-Friday).
Who we are looking for
A motivated multi-functional, dynamic, and creative person who will oversee the processing and handling of the visa applications.
Your main duties will include:
- process visa cases correctly and efficiently through interviews, emails, and telephone calls.
- keep informed of laws, regulations and SOPs related to visa cases.
- take complete action on all types of visa upon receipt including screening, data entry, visa classification, scanning of documents, photo capture, fingerprint capture, printing, quality assurance, tracking and issuance.
- track applications, including emergencies or high-profile cases.
- monitor the status of all pending cases daily.
- maintain fluent interaction with the Visa Unit Staff providing advice, recommendations, and feedback on visa operations, as appropriate, to establish fluent and customer-friendly daily visa processing.
- maintain, retain and/or prepare for shipment files strictly in accordance with the SOP’s.
- gather relevant information and documentation and draft reports on specific or more general facts concerning migration trends in the US.
- a born communicator and negotiator
- proactive and highly motivated
- reliable and trustworthy
- discreet and professional when handling confidential/sensitive information
- flexible, patient and meticulous
- excellent writing and editing skills
- experience working in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment
- a keen interest in Belgium and you would like to learn more about it
- great interpersonal skills and know how to communicate appropriately in a culturally diverse environment
- you work efficiently and manage your workload accordingly. You work well in a team but get things done autonomously too.
Candidates should have:
- an undergraduate degree in a related field (e.g. administration, immigration, law, social sciences)
- excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- basic IT knowledge (Wi-Fi, USB, scanning, ...)
- excellent knowledge of English. Knowledge of French and/or Dutch is a plus.
- a proof of legal residence and work permit in the USA.
What we offer
- a dynamic international work environment in the heart of NYC
- a competitive salary
- 24 days of paid holiday leave in addition to 14 official holidays
- health insurance (85% employer’s contribution)
- free language classes (Dutch, French, German)
The foreseen start date of the position is February 15th.
Candidates should send their application (cv + motivation letter) in English, Dutch, or French to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “APPLICATION - VISA Officer - Last Name - First Name”.
A preselection of candidates will be made based on qualifications and professional experience described in their resume and motivation letter.