Last updated on
Emergency numbers outside opening hours (for Belgian nationals in need only)
- Embassy in Washington: +1 202 352 64 28
- Consulate General in Los Angeles: +1 213 247 93 05
- Consulate General in New York: +1 917 597 34 10
- Consulate General in Atlanta: +1 404 271 96 69
Loss or theft of passport
Please read what to do immediately in the section Loss or theft of passport.
Emergency procedure for Belgians residing in the USA
If you need to travel urgently, you can obtain a provisional passport. This is valid for one month or one year, depending on your situation.
- the application form (in French and in Dutch);
- two recent passport photos;
- notarized copy of your green card or US visa
- payment, please review our price list. Payment; can be by certified check or money order issued to "Consulate General of Belgium" or "Embassy of Belgium". During your appointment, payment can also be made by credit card. In Washington, credit card payments can be made remotely by filling out the "Credit Card Authorization Form" (below).
The provisional passport is not valid for travel to Japan and some other countries. The provisional passport is also not electronically readable and does not allow you to return to the United States without a U.S. visa or a "resident alien card". For more information, check this website of the U.S. authorities.
General information and brochures
Please consult the federal public service for Foreign Affairs website for general information on Belgian or European consular assistance. You can also consult the consular publications with general information.